Welcome to Ms. Alexander's School Counseling Website! I am the school counselor for Mary A. Goetz Elementary School in Ludlow, KY. I have the joy of working with students through classroom guidance lessons, small group counseling, and individual counseling. I also collaborate with school staff and parents in order to best meet the needs of students.
|Classroom Guidance Lessons
I visit each classroom multiple times throughout the school year and have the chance to interact with every student during these lessons. Lessons typically last 30 minutes in length and cover topics such as school readiness skills, understanding feelings of self and others, problem solving skills, friendship skills, and study skills.
Small Group Counseling
A variety of small groups are offered to students who may benefit from spending some extra time developing academic, social, or emotional skills along with their peers, and to students who are coping with similar life situations. Groups can have anywhere from 3-12 members and usually meet once a week during lunch or before school for several weeks.
Some students can benefit from one-on-one counseling regarding academic, social, or emotional challenges.
Some of my counseling goals include:
* Promoting positive attitudes among students towards self, family, peers and community.
* Assisting students in learning how school performance relates to future opportunities.
*Developing and delivering classroom guidance lessons that teach skills such as decision making, resolving conflict and respecting others.
* Working with students, parents and school staff to identify learning needs and to design interventions to enhance student success.
* Helping students to recognize and make the best of their abilities.
* Providing support during a personal crisis.
* Working with students on attendance issues.
* Coordinating referrals to outside agencies.
* Developing student career awareness.
* Helping to create a safe and positive learning experience.
GROWING UP ISN'T EASY! HERE ARE SOME OF THE TOPICS THAT CAN BE DISCUSSED DURING COUNSELING:
* Making friends *Parents' divorce
* Liking myself * Getting along with others
* Being a "new kid" * Organization
* Studying *Learning and responsibility
* Bullying * Drug and alcohol abuse
* Death and dying * College/Career Readiness
* Moving away * Sexual abuse
* Being honest